Wednesday 17 July 2019

16 July

A family of Green woodpeckers are resident in the garden, one adult and three juveniles. Many of the books I read before we came to France commented on the lack of birdlife due to shooting and farming, the bird and wildlife in this area is however amazing, this must be due to the highly wooded environment, mainly cattle farming and low pollution evident in the high numbers of lichens present on the trees.
Bella sunbathing
Up at six to take the dogs on their morning walk, been taking them out this early everyday to avoid the heat and the hassle of meeting strangers.

Strange day today, the first time Sharron has returned to work since we moved here, she is returning to the UK via Paris where she has some meetings. This was always going to be the downside of moving over here and we know it will be the the pattern for the foreseeable future, but it doesn't make it any easier. I drove her to the local station which is about 3 km away and we said our goodbyes, she won't be back for about 10 days or so. 

So now I am fending for myself, a stranger in a foreign land. So first stop a bar for a coffee and then to Le Croquinoix Sarl a boulangerie in Eguzon to pick up bread.  I parked in the town centre and went in a cafe called Le Bienvenue which was exactly as I hoped it would be, I sat at the bar and said hello to all the locals as they entered while I had my coffee. It is the done thing to say hello, even the owner shook my hand as I sat down, it is nice to feel welcome when you are a stranger. I am almost a regular in the boulangerie, I bought a Pain and a coffee eclair for later. 

After picking up my bread I drove back to the gite, this was the first time we had left the dogs on their own, but I deed not have worried they were flaked out in the living room.

This afternoon I went out to the next village to investigate a Brocante we drove past, not a lot to see some nice pieces of furniture in need of restoration but until we move into the house its not worth buying anything.

This evening I stayed up quite late as there was a partial lunar eclipse from about 10pm onwards I took dogs for a walk at about 9:30 then stayed up until about 11.30when the eclipse was at its maximum. I think a partial eclipse is actually more beautiful than a full eclipse as you see the circular shadows of the earth across the moon. I could not help thinking how fitting it was on the 50th anniversary of the launch of Apollo 11.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The wait is almost over

The murmuration Toft starlings is growing everyday, they are using the old dying birch tree as a  congregation point. I see Roe deer most mo...