Sunday 21 July 2019

20th July

Saw my first bats this evening, typically the battery in my detector was flat. Moonless evening ironic as today was 50th anniversary of moon landing. However Jupiter looked magnificent.


Went out early today to go to a brocante in Saint-Agnant-Versillat about 30km away. the whole village centre was sealed off for the event. I love the way the do this, the local mayor agrees to it and that's it, diversions put in place and its sorted. As well as stalls temporary bars and food stalls pop up and lots of stalls with the usual range of items, I think that some of the stall holders think the more woodworm an item has the better it is. Having been involved in running our local feast week back in the UK it is really interesting to see how it is done here, you get the feeling that there aren't as many rules and regulations to follow...

My find of the day was this



lovely old leather Gladstone bag, I will use it for my drawing materials, although I think I might have to fight Sharron for it.

I have been going mad not having a field guide of any sort for identifying insects mine having gone into storage. So this afternoon I drove to one of the nearest big towns, Argenton sur Creuse to try and find a bookshop. I did find one but they didn't have a proper field guide  I did however get a lovely book about insects that will help. The book is of course in French so it will help me in two ways as I will need to work out what it is saying.

It was worth the drive just to go to Argenton sur Creuse, As its name suggests  it is on the river Creuse and the views are amazing



although no unusual for this area of France, it is a bit like the Forest of Dean and the Wye valley but with Oak forests rather than pine.

1 comment:

  1. Gorge, Gary! Loving the posts - keep'em coming! It's the next best thing to being out there with you both, experiencing it first hand! :)

    ReplyDelete

The wait is almost over

The murmuration Toft starlings is growing everyday, they are using the old dying birch tree as a  congregation point. I see Roe deer most mo...